Imagine this – a brilliant book idea is slowly forming in the recesses of your mind. It’s unique, it’s compelling, and it has the potential to be an absolute game-changer. Yet, you find yourself rooted in the comfortable chair of procrastination, unable to lift your pen and translate those thoughts into words. Sounds familiar?
This is a conundrum that many aspiring authors grapple with – the battle between comfort and calling.
The Comfort Trap
Comfort is cozy, isn’t it? It’s the soft, warm blanket we snuggle in on a winter day. It’s the familiar path we tread without fear of stumbling. But comfort can also be a trap, a cage of complacency that stifles growth. When we’re too comfortable, we tend to avoid taking risks, even if they can lead us to phenomenal rewards.
Take for instance, Tony Robbins, the celebrated author, coach, and motivational speaker. Before he became the beacon of inspiration that he is today, he was a janitor living in a tiny apartment1. Writing his first book, “Awaken the Giant Within”, was a dive into the unknown, a step beyond the familiar. And what a phenomenal leap that turned out to be!
Answering Your Calling
Your calling is that persistent voice inside you, urging you to share your story with the world. It’s the irresistible pull towards something greater than your current reality. Answering this call requires courage, resilience, and the willingness to embrace discomfort.
Elizabeth Gilbert, author of the bestselling memoir “Eat, Pray, Love”, faced rejection after rejection before her book became a worldwide sensation. She stepped out of her comfort zone, persevered through the challenges, and followed her calling. The result? A book that has inspired millions around the globe.
The Rewards of Pursuing Your Calling
When you step outside your comfort zone and heed your calling, the rewards can be immense. Not only do you get to share your unique perspective with the world, but you also grow as a person. You develop resilience, self-confidence, and a sense of accomplishment that no amount of comfort can provide.
Navigating the Path to Your Calling as an Author
Embarking on your writing journey, stepping out of your comfort zone, and heeding your calling can seem like an uphill battle. It’s like standing at the foot of a towering mountain, gazing at the peak shrouded in clouds, wondering how you’ll ever make it to the top. But remember, my friend, every journey begins with a single step. Let’s chart that course together, shall we?
- Define Your Goals: This is where it all begins. What do you want to achieve with your writing? Do you wish to inspire, to entertain, to educate, or maybe all three? Envision your goal as a lighthouse, guiding you through the foggy waters of doubt and uncertainty. Write down your goals, make them tangible. Keep them somewhere you can see daily – a constant reminder of the destination you’re aiming for.
- Start Small, Dream Big: Don’t be daunted by the magnitude of the task at hand. Remember, even the most prolific authors started with a single sentence. Begin with a short story, a blog post, or even a heartfelt letter. Each word you pen down is a brick in the edifice of your dream. As Lao Tzu wisely said, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
- Establish a Writing Routine: Consistency is key. Just as a river carves a canyon, consistent writing will shape your craft. Set aside a specific time each day for writing. This is your sacred time, a rendezvous with your thoughts and musings. Whether it’s the peace of dawn or the quiet of midnight, find your golden hour and guard it fiercely.
- Seek Encouragement and Constructive Criticism: Surround yourself with people who fan your flames. Join a writing group, find a mentor, or simply share your work with friends and family. Their feedback can be a powerful catalyst for improvement. Remember, we grow not from praise alone but also from constructive criticism.
- Embrace Challenges as Opportunities: On this journey, you will encounter hurdles. There will be days when words elude you, when criticism stings, when the finish line seems a world away. But remember, a diamond is just a piece of charcoal that handled stress exceptionally well. Embrace these trials as opportunities for growth. Each one is a stepping stone propelling you closer to your goal.
- Celebrate Your Victories, No Matter How Small: Every word penned, every page completed, every compliment received – celebrate them all. These tiny victories are the building blocks of your dream, and they deserve to be celebrated.
- Keep the Faith, Keep Writing: There will be times when you question your ability, when self-doubt creeps in. In those moments, remind yourself – you have a story that needs to be told, words that yearn to be shared. Keep the faith, keep writing. The world needs your words.
The journey to your calling as an inspirational author isn’t a sprint; it’s a marathon. It requires patience, persistence, and an unwavering belief in yourself. But oh, the joy of crossing that finish line, of holding your book in your hands, of seeing your name in print – it’s worth every step. So, lace up those boots, pick up that pen, and let’s set off on this remarkable journey together. Because your story, your words, your voice, they matter. They can inspire change, spark imagination, and touch hearts. And that, my friend, is a calling worth pursuing.
Remember, every great author started with a blank page and a leap of faith. So, shrug off that comfortable blanket, pick up your pen, and begin the journey towards your calling. The world is waiting to read your story.